Sunday, August 22, 2010


Starting a blog, starting a business, applying for a Federal Tax ID, and hoping to not transform my hobby into the proverbial elephant in the room.

Does anyone even know what a Federal Tax number is used for, and if I get one, am I then bound by some unseen force to generate taxes?


I love to make soap. I love to research the different kinds of ingredients and what they do to enhance the product and the skin. I enjoy searching out special additives to add to the mix, like cinnamon, lavender, and wildcrafted mesquite beans which I can grind into powder. I like to stir and blend the base oils in my big soap pot. I like the way the brown apothecary bottles of essential oils feel in my hands, and the exotic fragrances as they pour from the glass. I love the large, five-pound loaf of soap that comes out of my mold a fanciful lump ready for cutting and curing, full of glycerin and healthy lather. Did I mention I love to make soap?



Did I mention I did not love applying for that Federal Tax number? You never know where something like that might lead.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about your blog...I love your way with words! AND....as much as you hate to get a Federal Tax number (whatever that is), I'm glad I'll be able to purchase some of your soap!!! YEA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I mention how much I love your soap? The girls were loving the bars I brought home with me on Wednesday, sniffing them over and over. They even tried to swipe a bar or two when I wasn't looking. So I did what every good mother would do.

    I hid all the soap so they can't have any. They're mine. All mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jeez, Wilma, I will make them some of their very own!!

    ReplyDelete